Saturday, June 18, 2011

Defining Dad

father [fah-ther]

–noun
1. a male parent.
2. a father-in-law, stepfather, or adoptive father.
3. any male ancestor, especially the founder of a race, family, or line; progenitor.
4. a man who exercises paternal care over other persons; paternal protector or provider
5. a person who has originated or established something


It's father's day.  I actually prefer to call it Mike's day.  Mike is my dad.  There's a lot of ways that a father can be defined...a male parent (obvious), the founder of a family, a paternal provider, a person who has established something......these are all great ways to describe my dad.  He is definitely all of those things.  He is the founder of my family, the male provider, the protector, and most definitely someone who has established great things. 

But did you know?

My dad is SO. MUCH. MORE.

He is the carver of the turkey....

...and the maker of the coffee.

He is a lover of Bourbon...

...and a catcher of big fish.

He is the king of the household projects...

...and the captain of the remote control (when mom is not around).

He is.....ummmm.....whatever this is...

...and a homemade pizza connoisseur.

He is the guy who ran the 10-miler...faster than all of us...8 weeks out of knee surgery.

He is the king on the dance floor...

...and the man behind the camera.  Seriously.  He never. stops. taking. pictures.

He is the guy who helps his daughter put up blinds in her first home...and the guy who built the shelves in her garage....

...and the guy who will walk her down the aisle one day.


He is a role model, and someone other men can look up to...


...and the man who helped create this.


He's the man who loves this lady (I suspect even more now than he did then)....


...and the first guy I ever loved.


So now you know.  My dad is beyond definition....and he's pretty darn great.

Happy Mike's Day, Dad!  Love you!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, after a wonderful Father's Day weekend when I've had the pleasure of spending time with daughters 2 and 4 (Taryn and Kenzie), I've just read one of the sweetest proses that I've ever read. Taryn: I love you and especially so because I've always wanted to write things like screenplays and other such things but never taken the time. You take the time to do something I admire very much in your Blogs which is to be witty, honest and funny. Thank you for such kind words and for making me such a proud papa!

Mike Lorenzen

Christi said...

such a sweet, sweet post and ode to your father!

kendall k. said...

Cute post!! Sounds like a great guy.

Post a Comment



Life, Love and the Pursuit of Chocolate

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved