Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The new man in my life!

Move over fiance...there's a new man in my life.  He's may not be tall, and he may be balding, but he's two scoops of adorable, and I love him to pieces.

His name is Mason Michael (middle name after my Dad) and as of tomorrow, he will be 2 weeks old.  In case you are a new reader to my blog, let me catch you up - Mason is my brand stinking new nephew, and seriously, I am in love. 

After finding out that my sister, Brynn, was preggo over 8 agonizing months ago, we finally got to meet Mason on December 28.  This was Brynn's first child (although she is the non-evil stepmother to my other boyfriend and nephew, Drew) and the first grandchild for my parents, so to say that this was a big deal would be a bit of an understatement.  Brynn's actual due date was January 2, so the holidays were a little tough this year knowing that she couldn't travel so close to her due date.  That aside, we were all ready to basically drop everything and drive to Atlanta the minute we got the call that it was baby time.

That call came around 5:30pm on Wednesday, December 28.  I had just gotten home from running errands and doing wedding stuff in Lexington when my mom called me and said that Brynn had called her on the way home from work and thought she may have been having contractions.  She stayed on the phone with my mom for about 20 minutes while they timed them...6 minutes apart.  At the time her contractions were feeling something to the effect of menstral cramps, so everyone was still pretty relaxed about the whole thing.  Determined to not jump the gun or run to the hospital at the first inkling of labor, Brynn agreed that she would call her doctor when she got home and see what she had to say and then call us back.  That was at 5:30.  By 6:00 I had called her and her husband's phone about 5 times and had no answer.  Brynn finally called me at 6:30 on the way to the hospital...she could only talk for about 30 seconds because as she claimed, "these contractions are no joke", and it was too painful to talk.  Contractions now about 2.5 minutes apart.  By 7:30 my bag was packed and I was on the way to Atlanta to hopefully make it for my nephew's birth. 

I am not lying when I say that I drove like a bat out of hell.  I had to stop for gas once, but I was making near record time and had every intention of driving straight to the hospital.  My mom and little sister were driving up from Louisville and were about an hour behind me.  I was on high alert for text messages and phone calls on the status update of everything.  Around 11:30, I was beginning to be hopeful that I might actually make it there in time....At 12:15am I got a text from my brother-in-law: a picture of my nephew (the sweetest picture ever).  He arrived at 11:56pm....just before midnight. 

An hour later I arrived at the hospital.  Brynn looked great!  No swelling, no water weight, nothing....kinda bitchy that she makes it look so easy.  Mason was getting his first little sponge bath from the nurse so I got to hug on Brynn and Lukus for a few minutes before I accosted my nephew.  They were busy devouring McDonalds...neither had eaten dinner.  I sat down and turned to my sister and said, "First things first...Do you still have a vagina?"  She laughed and assured me that she did.  Whew, that's a relief.  As someone who has not had any children, but very much plans on having them someday, I can't help but get the dirt on what labor and delivery is like.  I mean, if your sister won't tell you, then who will?

All that aside, we stayed at the hospital until 4:00am.  I took tons of pictures!

About 2 hours old here

Me and Mason
Daddy introducing Drew to his new brother
Mommy and Mason

I also took pictures of Mason's sweet nursery.  My sister did a great job!

Unfortunately I only got to stay and visit with my new little man for 3 days before I had to head back to Lexington and back to reality.  I literally have shown everyone my pictures (I took them on my camera, my tablet, my phone...pretty much every electronic device I have) whether they've wanted to see them or not!  K and I have a trip planned for the end of the month to spend more time with them and soak up all things Mason...I am counting the days!  Until then, check out this video I took when we were at the hospital of our new man.  He was less than 24 hours old and wide awake!  We can already tell he's a very curious little fellow :)


Jessica said...

Congratulations, Auntie!! He's adorable! :)

Amanda said...

Congratulations, Aunt Taryn! He's so handsome and perfect!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG Love this! Congrats

your newest follower :)


Whitney-BitbyBit.blogspot.com said...

I tried to explain but you really have no idea until you experience it. He is perfect and so stink in cute. And Brynn of course looks amazing! Bitch.

Post a Comment

Life, Love and the Pursuit of Chocolate

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved