Monday, November 19, 2012

Mirror, Mirror

Happy Thanksgiving week all!  I am thankful for each and every one of you who stop by my little corner or the internet and support me and my blog.  I hope everyone gets to enjoy some time with family and loved ones this week. 

But before the cranberry fluff coma I am fully preparing to enter into in a few days, I wanted to share a little project I finished up this week with all of you.  I think it goes without saying that I can get a lil crafty from time to time.  However, my crafty side is typically limited to finding ways to trick my husband into rubbing my feet or watching the latest Twilight movie in theaters. 

This week, however, I pulled out the Martha Stewart in me once again and gave an antique mirror in my garage a little makeover.  About a month ago, husband and I, along with our parents travelled up to a huge antique show near Cincinnati and my mom bought a giant mirror while she was there.  As it turned out, there wasn't enough room for it in her car, so in our truck it went and in my garage it sat. 

After a few weeks of housing it in our garage, I decided the mirror now belonged to me and I got to work on making it a usable piece for our living room.  I painted the frame a blue color that matched fabric in our throw pillows and picked up some stencil letters and frosted glass spray paint and went to town.  A little brown glaze over the bright blue, gave it more of a rustic look I was going for.

The mirror before.

I put painters tape around the edge and then cut open trader joe's paper bags to cover the glass while I spray painted the frame.

We measured and centered the letters and then cut a hole in the paper bags to make room for them.  We had to wait until they dried and then move the duplicate letters.

The finished product with our fall decor up.  I had a different mirror there before but this one looked so much better!

I bit the bullet and put up some of my Christmas decor on Saturday.  I love my new mirror!

So there you have it!  I am getting craftier by the day!  I debated a bit on what words to put on the mirror and thought about doing our last name or monogram, but decided against it.  As the focal point in the room, I wanted the mirror to really say something which is why I felt like "blessed" was the perfect word for the mirror.

I am feeling particularly blessed this holiday season for a wonderful husband, family I adore, and a great career.  What are you feeling blessed for right now?


1 comments:

Amanda said...

I love it! And I'm so jealous that you have a fireplace. I have no idea where I'm going to hang our stockings this year since we don't have a mantle anymore. :)

Post a Comment



Life, Love and the Pursuit of Chocolate

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved