Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Georgia On My Mind....

Well, it's been a good week now since I've written a blog post.  I apologize, sincerely.  Knowing that  your lives have been devoid of my sarcasm and general negativity for that last week pains me in a way I can scarcely comprehend, but I promise I have a legitimate excuse.  For you see, I've had many things on my mind this week.  Georgia, to be exact.  Georgia on my mind. 

Cue the Ray Charles music....

In order for you to fully comprehend why this is a sound excuse, I would like to take you back for a moment to June 2008.  Why so far back you ask?  Well, sad to say, June 2008 was the last time this little girl had a vacation to somewhere warm.  No I mean it.  Really.  As much as I love my old Kentucky home, every so often, a girl needs a little escape.  Don't get me wrong, I've had a staycation here and there, a few holidays in between, and maybe a personal day or two.  But a real "time-off-for-myself-get-the-f**k-outta-this-town-and-head-somewhere-warm" vacation has been nearly 3 years in the making.  That is all about to change.  On Thursday morning, Keith and I are driving to the great state of Georgia for a whirlwind "Tour-de-Family".

We began mulling over the idea for a trip to Savannah back in December.  For those of you who don't know, Keith's sister lives in Savannah, and my sister and brother live in Atlanta, about 30 minutes from McDonough, GA where Keith's parents live.  So, needless to say, we both have ties to this southern state and thought Savannah would be a great opportunity to visit with everyone. Well that and get a tan.  While talk of this trip began in December, it wasn't until January when my crippling Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) led me to turn to him and say "Babe, if I don't get a vacation soon, I'm either going to blow my brains out or yours.  You decide."  After that, the Savannah trip was on. 

Well, sort of....

Initially the plan was to fly down to Savannah and stay for about 5 days, and hopefully meet up with both his and my family while there.  As it turns out, a lot of other people in the south think springtime in Savannah is a novel idea (who knew?) and we could not get any good rates on a hotel, or a flight, sad (very sad) to say.  Well after a few minor vacation meltdowns, a new plan emerged...spend a few days in Atlanta and a few days in Savannah and get over ourselves.  So, there you have it.  Our mini-vacation was born.  First stop on our "Tour-de-Family" is Atlanta where we are going to have dinner and drinks with Keith's parents, who I am meeting for the first time.  While most people would feel this is a nerve-wracking experience in itself, I am actually pretty excited.  Even though Keith and I have known each other for over 3 years now and dated for about 7 or 8 months previously, and I have never met anyone in his family until this year.  It sort of feels like my coming out party.  I'm legit now.  I wonder if Keith's mom and dad will think it's strange when I show up in a full cotillion gown with a tiara for our dinner?


Is this too much??


I have to admit, while I'm thrilled to meet the parents, I am most looking forward to exploring Savannah this weekend.  There's something about being near the water that makes me giddy.  I guess it won't really feel like a vacation until I can see the lights on the water at night.  Plus, after nearly 10 hours in the car together, it might be an opportune time to pitch Keith into the Savannah River if he's getting on my nerves.  But mostly the first thing.


The Savannah River at Night

Our final stop on the tour will be a second stint in Atlanta for a Braves game and cookout with my brother and sister.  I feel like this is going to be an awesome way to cap off the long weekend.  Well, unless the Braves lose.  That won't make for such a great ride home.  Especially when I throw my Boston Red Sox hat on for the drive just to rub salt in Keith's wounds.  I can't help that it looks adorable on me....


Need I say more?

So, as you can see, my thoughts and life have been pretty pre-occupied with thoughts of peaches, seafood, and humidity...thoughts of Georgia.  After this whirlwind vacation, I'm pretty sure I'm going to need one of those vacations for my vacation.  It's a lot to cram into 5 days, but I feel confident we can manage.  Besides, after we booked our hotel for Savannah, I looked at Keith and said, "Babe, if I don't get to the beach soon, I'm either going to blow my brains out or yours.  You decide."  Thus, our Hilton Head trip in June was born.  I sure am a lucky gal ;-).







0 comments:

Post a Comment



Life, Love and the Pursuit of Chocolate

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved